Every pupil at Pangbourne has a Tutor whose role is wide-ranging but whose important function is to oversee students' academic, intellectual and personal development. Tutors manage the transitions into Form 1, Form 3 and into Sixth Form. They advise and guide on GCSE and A Level choices, and on university applications.
The Tutor, in conjunction with the Head of Sixth Form and the Housemaster / Housemistress, is responsible for fostering each tutee’s academic, intellectual and personal development. They are the link between the academic and pastoral side of College.
Sixth Form see their Tutor at some point each day. Group tutorials are held on a weekly basis, with regular individual tutorials in addition.
As pupils progress through the Sixth Form, the Tutor, alongside the Head of Sixth Form and Head of Careers, will advise at key stages on choosing higher education courses and careers.
During the Lower Sixth, this will involve:
- The use of Centigrade in initiating course options
- Discussion and research of Higher Education courses
- A Pangbourne ‘Careers Fair’ in March
- Informed and responsible use of the Careers Room
- Attending presentations from visiting university lecturers
- Open Day visits and taster courses.
During the Upper Sixth year, the following takes place:
- Selecting appropriate courses after arranging visits to universities via Open Days or private arrangement
- Supervising the accurate completion of the UCAS form
- Compiling the UCAS reference in conjunction with subject teachers and Housemaster/Housemistress.
- Preparing you for interview where necessary
- Following the application through to its completion