The College shop is located next to the Falkland Islands Memorial Chapel and sells a full range of uniform, stationery, toiletries and sports equipment.
The Shop is the only place where the Pangbourne uniform and sportswear can be bought, and new pupils and students entering the College in September can arrange uniform appointments in the summer before they arrive by contacting the Shop.
The Shop is manned by a Manager, an Assistant and two Seamstresses who alter students’ No 1s uniform, which consists of a black skirt or black trousers, a white, long-sleeved, collared shirt, a black jacket with gold buttons, polished, formal shoes and a naval hat (Lid). A personal fitting service is provided for new pupils and students buying their uniform during the summer holidays.
Every pupil and student has an account which is looked after by the Shop, and any purchases throughout the academic year can be added to their termly bill, ensuring access to essential items without the need for cash.
As well as stock for pupils and students, the Shop sells Old Pangbournian memorabilia, such as ties, books and scarves.
After consultation with the Sixth Form, the College has taken the decision to introduce a change to Rec Rig for Sixth Form boys, replacing the current requirement with a business suit.
The change brings Rec Rig into line with the new girls’ Sixth Form Rec Rig, and provides clothing which is useful for interviews and events beyond College.
No extremes of fashion will be permitted and where there is any doubt, the Headmaster’s decision will be final. The guidance below should be followed:
- Business suit: classic style in navy blue or dark grey. Suit trousers and jackets must match. Subtle stripes are acceptable. Heavily tapered or ‘drainpipe’ trouser legs are not.
- Shirts: white or pale coloured, long-sleeved. Shirts should be of formal construction, with proper stiff boned collars, placket fronts, and stiff interlined cuffs. Casual shirts with short soft collars are not allowed. No bold patterns, stripes or check or dark coloured shirts. No coloured shirts with white collars. A College tie should be worn when engaged in school-related activities.
- Jumpers: plain, dark coloured v-neck jumper may be worn when appropriate. Jumpers should be navy blue or dark grey and must not display logos.
- Shoes: black, polishable lace-up shoes in Oxford style. Slip on shoes or loafers are not acceptable.
If you have any questions about whether a particular style is suitable, please check with your Housemaster in the first instance.
The aim for Girls' Rec Rig in the Sixth Form is an outfit akin to the modern business suit. Such an outfit will serve them well in smart non-College situations, such as interviews or work experience. The following guidelines were adopted in 2017 after consultation with the then-Sixth Form girls:
- Smart tailored Jacket and skirt in navy, black, charcoal or dark grey. Jacket must be button up (two or three buttons) non-cropped, have lapels. Pockets should also not be zipped. Any pinstripes must be discrete.
- Skirts should be straight (pencil) worn on or just above the knee with moderate split and no frills. Skirts should not be tube or lycra skirts.
- Smart business blouse with collar or fitted shirt but must be capable of being worn tucked neatly into the skirt (blouses must be single pastel colour and not be see-through or revealing).
- Shoes must be flat black shoes and black tights.